Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Remind Me Again Why I Chose This Field ...


So, bright and early this morning, I took my second NetWare exam. I got a 93% ... which, I suppose, isn't too shabby. I'll take it. So, I started into the next chapter feeling pretty good about myself.

It didn't take long for me to become totally overwhelmed. The material isn't that hard ... things like this come pretty easy to me. Sure, calculating inherited, effective, and default rights can be a little confusing ... but it's all pretty logical. But this chapter on NDPS ... ugh.

I reviewed the lecture video two times ... and stopped only after I realized that the concepts were making less and less sense ... while the presenter was sounding more and more like Charlie Brown's teacher. I couldn't grasp the simplest of topics. Why is there a print broker and a print manager? Why do I have to create several objects and load NLMs before I can even create a printer object?

Seriously, this is not hard ... and I realize that I must have been getting a little crispy around the edges. You can only study so long before you need a break ... and I desperately needed a break. So, about 2:30, I called it a day and packed up my laptop. I guess there's just no sense in beating your head against a brick wall.

But tommorrow's another day ... and I'm hoping everything's a little clearer in the morning. I'm hitting the ground running first thing ...

Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I got to keep on movin'

Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 PM

    If it makes you feel better, I now hate my major.

    And the class that made me hate it is based on stuff that I actually want to do with my life after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought ... can you change your major? I mean ... that probably entails rethinking everthing you want to do with your life ... but if you hate your major, you may find out you hate the career that follows.

    Unfortunately, I can't change the course I'm on as far as classes go. The classes are training for my current position ... and, unless I want to go back to being a secretary and answering phones, my only option is to suck it up.

    So ... somebody pass me a straw ... four more chapters and a final to go ...

    ReplyDelete