Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Am I Missing Something?


This week, the Colorado legislature voted to name John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” as one of the state’s official songs.

Um ... okay. Sure. You know, whatever ... I'm just saying ... I always thought that song was about weed. And apparently, I'm not alone ...

"Some Republicans raised concerns that the song could be a siren’s call to getting stoned, because of the line, ‘Friends around the campfire and everybody’s high.’ In the House, Rep. Debbie Stafford unsuccessfully tried to amend the resolution to clarify that Rocky Mountain High ‘reflects Colorado’s high elevation and in no way reflects or encourages any drug abuse.’ This caused Rep. Andy Kerr to joke, ‘But it’s a ‘joint’ resolution.’”

Ohhhhhh, I get it. It's an "inside" joke. Okay ... that's cool.

Well then, to follow in Colorado's formitable footsteps, I'd like to suggest Illinois adopt a 2001 hit song by Afroman, "Because I Got High." Wait ... before you scoff, check these lyrics out:

I was gonna pay my car note
Until I got high
I wasn't gonna gamble on the boat
But then I got high
Now the tow truck's pulling away
And I know why
(Why man, why?)
'Cuz I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

Oh yeah, like that's not a reference to Par-A-Dice! Suuuuure ...

And the Colorado Rocky Mountain high
I've seen it raining fire in the sky
You can talk to God and listen to the casual reply
Rocky Mountain high (high Colorado)
Rocky Mountain high (high Colorado)

John Denver - Rocky Mountain High

No comments:

Post a Comment