Monday, October 22, 2007

Starting The Week In Balance ...


This weekend was an odd combination of highs and lows. The lows were pretty low ... but there is balance in the universe ... because the highs seemed up to the challenge.

Friday started off on the wrong foot at an early hour ... a ridiculously early hour. At 3:30 a.m. I woke up with that familiar pain. Unfortunately, experience has shown that the earlier in the day the pain starts, the worse the day's going to be. So, with that in mind, waking up at 3:30 in the morning to a stabbing pain is a poor portent of things to come. My own worst enemy has come to town, Bruce ... go figure.

But there are always solutions ... better living through chemicals, I always say ... and I managed to work a full eight hours on Friday. And maybe that's where karmic balance comes into play ... as hard as it was to work in pain ... I needed something equally positive to bring my world into balance.

The weekend began with an amazing evening with family at Gabatoni's. I always dread going to these things ... which makes no sense because I always have such a good time with my various aunts, uncles, and cousins. I come from a gregarious, boisterous bloodline ... and we spend most of our time together laughing. And, common ... is there a better way to spend an evening than laughing and having fun with people who love you?

The rest of the weekend was blissfully quiet. We watched Ratatouille Saturday afternoon. Note to Pixar: Thousands of squirming rats running out of a kitchen does not induce a warm, fuzzy feeling. [shudder]

But aside from that, there were positive touches here and there over the weekend. An old friend I hadn't heard from in years got in touch with me ... I talked with College One and we'll probably be seeing them on Thanksgiving ... heck, we even got a small refund check from our escrow account. Talk about unexpected blessings.

But in the end ... after looking at the bad and the good, in the balance sheet of life ... I think I'm doing alright.


I'm alright
Don't nobody worry 'bout me
You got to gimme a fight
Why don't you just let me be

Kenny Loggins