Monday, April 14, 2008

Put the Phone Down and Step Away ...


Here is ThirtyWhat's pet peeve of the week ...

Why do people find it necessary to talk
on their cellphones while in the grocery store?

Now, I'm not talking about the 30 second calls that go like this:

"Oh hey! Yeah, I'm in Walmart ...
I'll be home in about an hour or so.
Okay ... see ya!"

Oh no ... I'm talking about the people who are so emotionally needy that they can't complete their grocery shopping without talking on their cell phone through the entire store. I'm serious ... it's as if they're "virtually" shopping with someone else.

There was a woman shopping on Saturday that managed to piss off everyone in the grocery area of Walmart. She was dressed very smartly ... in her mid-40's ... looked intelligent ... and yet, couldn't close that phone to save her life.

I heard bits and pieces as we passed her in the cleaning supply isle, "... but I told her I wasn't going because ..." and the cookie isle, "... I know! I told them that I'd meet them ..." and the tuna isle, "... I tried to get it done before we ..."

She cut people off and ran into their carts ... oblivious to the world around her. But what really chaffed my ass was when I had to wait behind her to get my groceries as she said, "Hey, I'm in the pasta isle now ... what kind of sauce should I get? No, I don't like mushrooms ... what about Ragu? No, Prego is too sweet ..."

FUCK ME! Are you kidding? You couldn't have this conversation at HOME? Are you really that incapable of being by yourself ... or do you just hate the sound of your own thoughts? Or maybe, just maybe, if you're that needy you should ask someone to go with you.

Needless to say ... we will not be having pasta this week.


I'm in the phone booth, it's the one across the hall
If you don't answer, I'll just ring it off the wall
I know he's there, but I just had to call
Don't leave me hanging on the telephone
Don't leave me hanging on the telephone

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone