Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Not Even Close ...


What is the best thing about being a computer geek?

I can fix my own computer problems. I reinstall my own drivers. I've updated firmware. I configured my own wireless router. I have a simple answer for most common issues.

What is the worst thing about being a computer geek?

I know when bullshit when I see it. When I call the Help Desk, it's because there's a legitimate problem. I'm not calling because my printer keeps jamming ... or my Excel formula won't work ... or the "S" is stuck on my keyboard ... or because my Word document isn't justified correctly. I'm calling because there's a balls out serious issue that I can't fix myself.

Most of the time it's a rights issue ... I could fix it ... but I don't have the rights to fix it. In the past, when we maintained our own server, we were pretty much gods. Hell, I used to edit users registries from the comfort of my own desk ... now 75% of the problems have to be moved up the chain of command.

The real pain in the ass of this situation is when you know more than the people answering the help desk. When you tell them the problem ... then you have to tell them how to solve said problem.

"Reboot" ... I've done that. "Delete your temp files" ... I've done that. "Well, I'm going to have to remote into your computer" ... or you could just reset my profile since it hung up when I logged off last night. "Oh ... yeah ... okay."

Ay dios mio ... is it Friday yet?

"Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream", she said
"The one that makes me laugh", she said
Threw her arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it?
And I'll promise you I'll promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you"

The Cure - Just Like Heaven