Saturday, August 03, 2013

Against My Better Judgement ...



Well, yesterday I made a big leap of faith ... and took Stoney out to my hometown.  Well, technically he took me ... I just rode along, pointing here and there to places of interest.

It was weird ... I haven't taken anyone to Salisbury for ... well for a long, long, long time.  Grandma's house doesn't look too terribly bad ... I forgot to show him Aunt Ricky's place ... and the cemetery ... and the silver bridge and  great-great grandma's general store along the hard road.  But it was getting dark ... and to be honest, I'm not sure how much is left standing these days anyway.

It was probably a good thing we went out close to dusk ... hopefully he couldn't see too many details.  Our land has completely gone to seed.  Everything's grown up ... it looks like a dump now.   I pointed out the "all-seeing" halogen light ... but it no longer burns bright as the sun.  I guess the bulb has burned out ... since my corner wasn't lit up like an airport landing strip.

My town was never really a thriving place ... but it's odd to see how little is left.  Max's Tavern has closed ... the Dairy Bar closed years ago ... it looked like O'Conner's has gone out of business  but maybe it's just because we were there so late.  Hines's Tavern is now called something different ... although it's still just as popular.   Even though it was only nine o'clock or so, the party was already spilling outside.  I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy grandma's house all those years ago.

We had to run to Plains to get some gas ... I'd forgotten how long that back road is ... and how winding it is.  It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves driving the blacktop like a bat out of hell.  Once we got to Plains it was pitch dark ... so there wasn't too much reminiscing at that point.  I couldn't take him by Tom's house or point out Richard's ... not that it matters cause it looked like Richard's went out of business a long time ago.

All in all, it was nostalgic ... and he hasn't broken up with me yet ... so ... I guess we can call the trip a success.

Forward troubles Illinois
Lock the front door, oh boy!
Look at all the happy creatures
Dancing on the lawn.
Bother me tomorrow
Today I'll buy no sorrow
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door

Creedence Clearwater Revival -
Looking Out My Back Door

No comments:

Post a Comment