Thursday, July 24, 2014

Putting My Ducks In a Row ...


It's weird ... how something small can ... inspire you.

Stoney and I have talked about me moving in with him for awhile.  Nothing sudden or immediate ... no one was pushing anybody ... it was just one of those, "Someday when this happens ..." kind of things ... a happy idea that we'd throw out there now and then.

The underlying problem has always been my house.  I own a house.  So does he.  My house is larger ... but isn't in a great part of town ... and is so much older and needs so much more work.  There's a thousand things I love about his house.  The washer and dryer is on the main floor ... there's a deck .... there's a two car garageBut what I love about it most ... he's there.

So ... for the last few months I've been making feeble attempts to get this house ready to sell.  The problem is that there was so much to do ... so much to clean ... so much to pitch ... that I was completely overwhelmed.  I've been saying I was going to get a dumpster and empty the basement out for a year and a half now ... if that gives you an idea of the kind of procrastination I'm talking about.

But last night, my contractor delivered the new front door and new storm door.  They're in the dining room ... just to keep them out of the way until he installs them in a couple weeks.  Seeing that beautiful new door propped against my wall lit a fire under me ... and I am inspired.

Tonight I've cleaned out the foyer ... straightened up the living room ... and started working on the spare room.   Yesterday I went outside and pulled a bunch of weeds and cut down a few huge weeds that were growing by the porch ... I swept the front porch. 

There is a lot to do ... but seeing things look nicer have given me a little hope.  I need to pack my grandmother's china and start organizing things I know I'll want to keep ...  but you know what?  I'm working for something special now.


Oh but workin' too hard can give you a heart attack
You oughta know by now
Who needs a house out in Hackensack?
Is that all you get for your money?

And it seems such a waste of time
If that's what it's all about
Mama, if that's movin' up then I'm movin' out.

Billy Joel - Moving Out

No comments:

Post a Comment