Monday, August 18, 2014

Better Is Good ...


My baby has been sick.  And it scared me.

Vertigo is common ... and I am logical enough to realize that not everyone who experiences vertigo is having a stroke.  But still ...

Stoney wasn't feeling well Saturday evening ... so after Baby Bird's birthday party and a little grocery shopping, I headed home around eight.  I'm comfortable around him ... but sometimes it's nice to just be left alone when you feel like crap.  And so I hugged him, gathered my stuff, and headed back to the North Side.

Sunday morning, I got a text around eight a.m.  That was the first sign.  Stoney never texts me early in the morning on the weekends.  He always lets me sleep as long as possible.  I was already awake ... just laying in bed reading a book ... but his text tone surprised me.

He'd been up most of the night with vertigo ... and asked if I could get him some Dramamine and a special pillow.  I was worried about him.  Terribly worried.

My stroke started with vertigo ... and ended with eight days in the ICU.  Well, it ended with a lot worse than that ... but anyway ...

I digress ...

I jumped out of bed, got dressed and headed to the store.  When I went to the house and he described everything, it was a little less scary.  He'd already been looking up symptoms ... and it really did sound like inner issues.  Especially considering he was alright laying on his right side ... it was only his left ear that was making everything spin out of control.

So I hung out with him ... stayed in the living room and read my book while he napped off and on ... checked on him while he slept ... because knowing it's probably inner ear is not knowing it's inner ear.   I asked him to smile ... raise his arms ... do the little tests that the nurses made me do.  And he smiled that smile I love ... and that made me feel a little better still.

He saw the doctor today ... and he should be better in a day or two.  It's just one of those things. He's better ... and better isn't perfect ... but better is good.


Everything you are
Falls from the sky like a star
Everything you are
Whatever ever you want

Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment