Saturday, December 06, 2014

The Happiest Kind of Tired ...


After a four day weekend, you would think it would be nice to get back to work, wouldn't you?  It was kind of the opposite.  The week was long and grueling ... despite the work load being no worse or better than any other week.

I have plenty to say about what frustrates me about my job ... but instead ... let's focus on something else.  Let's focus on today.

Today made up for that entire week.

Last week, Stoney asked if I'd like to go to Peoria today.  He suggested a day trip ... we'd see a movie, maybe go to our favorite bar-b-que joint, and end the day with the East Peoria festival of Christmas lights.  I couldn't wait.  I thought about it all week.  Quite frankly, the thought of going on this road trip probably kept me from going postal more than once.

I woke up about 8:30.   Stoney was, as usual, already wide awake in the living room.  I decided to start the day by texting him from the bedroom.  I sent him, what I consider to be, a hilarious joke ...

"Have you heard about that new movie, "Constipation?"
"Of course you haven't.  It hasn't come out yet!"

That last line ended with a poop emoji.

Omigod ... I laughed until I cried.   He laughed ... but I think he was laughing at me laughing.  He tolerates my odd sense of humor.  But I got out of bed ... curled up in his big recliner and woke up slowly by watching American Horror, and then we got on the road.

I enjoy going to Peoria with him.  He points out all sorts of places ... he worked down that road ... his brother works down that way ... just memories he has.   We stopped at the comic book store he used to go to years ago.  It was still open and was quirky and odd like all comic book stores seem to be.


Mockingjay was good.  Very good, in fact.  What I find frustrating, as a book reader, is that it's a two-part movie ... made out of one book.  So you knew that the story was going to stop mid-way through. 

Side note ... you don't realize how badly AMC sucks balls until you see a movie at a Carmike theater.  Holy crap ... the aisles were wide ... the seats were so comfy and reclined back ... the arm rests pulled up so you could cuddle while you watched.  And it was cheaper.  Take note AMC ... cause I'm considering driving up north to give my money to Carmike.

After the movie, we had dinner with Stoney's parents.  They're friendly and funny ... I was glad they met us.   Dinner was so delicious ... a literal feast of bar-b-que.  A full rack of ribs, a whole smoked chicken, pulled pork, brisket, corn on the cob, coleslaw, baked beans, french fries, and the sweetest corn muffins in the world.   All four of us ate until we were full ... and we still brought home two to-go boxes full.

I've only been to the Christmas light festival one other time.  K, J, Stoney, and I went up two years ago.  Last year, we talked about it.   We really wanted to go ... but between bouts of illness ... and typical winter weather, it just didn't happen.   This year, it was cold ... but not ridiculously cold.  No snow.  Nice enough to open the windows and take pictures.  We drove through the park, listening to Christmas music, and watching the twinkling lights.  It was beautiful.

We drove back to town and had enough energy to get groceries before heading home.  We're both beyond tired ... but it's a good tired.  A happy tired.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.  I have a lot of things I need to get done.  But today was nice ... it was fun and relaxing ... I couldn't have asked for a better day.   I might have even wound up with a little Christmas spirit.   Thanks, sweetie ... I appreciate everything!

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white

Bing Crosby - White Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment