Thursday, January 20, 2005

It's the little things ...



Never let it be said that I only focus on the negative. Perhaps I'm in the eye of an upcoming storm ... but since I'm feeling calm and focused right now (gouranga, perhaps?), I thought I'd write something a little more positive.

Everybody makes New Year's resolutions, right? They want to lose weight or go to the gym regularly or mop their kitchen floor more than once a year ... I mean, everybody swears they're going to make these big life-changing steps on January 1st. And let's be honest ... most of those people are eating a doughnut, sitting on their asses, and ignoring that nasty floor before the month is out.

So, this year ... I've decided not to do it. I'm not going to resolve to lose weight (although heaven knows I need to) ... and I'm not going to resolve to go the gym (because I don't have a membership and those oily, greedy bastards are not getting my hard-earned cash) ... and I'm not going to resolve to mop my kitchen floor more often because, hell let's be honest, I'm lazy and I hate doing it.

Instead, I'm just going to stop and enjoy the little things that make life worth living. Common, resolutions are made to be broken ... and then what? We feel horrible about ourselves? You feel like a failure, right?

Well, what if we just stopped and looked around? I bet we'd all be amazed how many good things are happening ... things we don't notice because the bills need to be paid ... the dog's peeing on the carpet ... the kids need a ride somewhere ... you know, there's just not enough time in the day. So, in honor of my new New Years "Anti-Resolution" ... here are ...

Little Things That Make My Life Worth Living
In No Particular Order

1. An unexpected hug
2. Flipping my pillow to the cool side in the middle of the night
3. A hot (magma-hot) shower
4. A McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese, fries, and Dr. Pepper
5. Fresh sheets on the bed
6. Watching someone open a present from me
7. A movie at the theatre (with popcorn and soda of course!)
8. Seeing one of our kids in a play or a program
9. Calling in sick (shhhh ... that's a bad one, huh?)
10. Watching a new episode of a favorite tv show
11. Getting to the end of a really good book
12. Getting an e-mail from a friend
13. The way our home smells on Thanksgiving Day

So, there's what I enjoy ... there's more ... but these are just off the top of my head. Now, go make your own list ... and if you feel you have to make a resolution, let's just resolve to take out that list once in awhile and remember it's the little things that keep us going. Now there's a resolution I just might be able to keep.

Say goodbye to the oldies but goodies
Cause the good ole days weren't always good
Tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

Keeping the Faith - Billy Joel