Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Finally ... A Name For It


Yeah, I'm aware it's not April yet ... but who could blame me for celebrating. After over a year of chronic abdominal pain, endless tests, and mounting medical bills, they've finally put a name to my problem. And that name is IBS -- Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

It's an embarrassing thing to talk about ... I mean, who wants to tell their boss they have to leave work because their irritable bowel syndrome is acting up? On the other hand, I haven't had a bad "spell" for over a month now. I've been following the plan that my gastro doctor laid out and, honestly, it's made a world of difference.

The best news to come out of this, as far as I'm concerned, is that pain pills aren't my only option. There are antispasmotic drugs that can help with the symptoms and I won't be tied to a bottle of darvoset anymore. That might not be a big deal to most people, but after a year of taking pain pills on a semi-regular basis, getting hooked became my biggest fear.

So, a big round of applause to Dr. Harrison ... he's a life saver in my book.

I'm not tryin' to fake it
And I ain't the one to blame
No, there's no one home in my house of pain
I didn't write these pages
And my script's been re-arranged
No, there's no one home in my house of pain

Faster Pussycat - House of Pain

No comments:

Post a Comment