Monday, June 19, 2006

In Retrospect, I Should've Been A Waitress ...


So, back around 1994, I discovered I had a bit of a "knack" for computers. I suspect it has less to do with talent and more to do with a lack of fear. I have no problems ripping something opening and taking a look around ... and apparently that's not the norm. I've learned over time that most of my clients are afraid to click on MS Word menus for fear something will explode ... so having them diagnose their NIC card is the equivalent to expecting them to perform brain surgery. You know, it's just cruel to even ask.

In general, computer problems just seem like puzzles to be solved and that's always seemed kinda fun to me. And, as much as I don't want to become Nick Burns, I've found that it's much easier to change someone's password for them ... rather than to go back and clean up the toxic spill they create when they try to do it themselves.

Yes, I know the philosophy of giving a man a fish versus giving him the fishing pole ... but if I have to choose between typing in an excel formula for a client or giving them a manual and trying to train them on the software ... well one of those choices guarantees we'll both be leaving with a migraine at the end of the day.

But in retrospect, perhaps I've made the wrong career choice. I'm beginning to suspect I should've chosen a field that required phrases like, "Would you like fries with that?" or "Would you like to add four more shrimp for a dollar?" I could've looked trendy with a nametag ...

I found out this morning that I won't get to attend a training school that I was really looking forward to. I suppose it's no big deal ... there will be others ... but I'm just so frustrated.

It's not that I don't like my job ... on the contrary, I like it and I think I'm good at it. I guess I'm just having a bad day ... because I also seem to be sick with some sort of sinus thing. So maybe all of this will look better when my head isn't so full. Pardon me ... whilest I go find the NyQuil.

Uno, dos, tres, quatro
Big Mac, Filet o Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries
Icey Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes and Apple Pies
Sing that song of taste
[Yeah, sing that song of taste!]
You can only find at one place, McDonalds

Barenaked Ladies - McDonalds Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment