Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy [Belated] Father's Day


Yesterday, I started writing this big post about how our view of the family has changed over the past fifty years or so. For instance, In 1954, Father Knows Best was one of the most beloved shows in America. During it's seven seasons, this sitcom and it's patriarch, Jim Anderson, won six Emmy awards and was nominated for twelve more. But by 1989, Al Bundy and Homer Simpson became the standard for TV Land dads everywhere. Man, what the hell happened there?

But then I got to thinking ... what's the point? I'll be the first to admit that Father Knows Best and it's ilk weren't realistic. I don't believe that Leave it to Beaver reflected family life in the 50's anymore than I believe that The Brady Bunch showed a genuine picture of blended families in the 70's. They weren't meant to. They were just television entertainment ... not documentaries.

Still though, you have to wonder how we went from putting fathers on this unattainable pedestal of perfection back then ... to making them the boobs of every sitcom, commercial, and movie produced today.

Anyhow ... the point of this rambling post is that we still appreciate you dads out there. You're still working hard to provide for your families today ... just like you were back in the 50's. And even though you may not come home to warm slippers and a pipe ... you're still coming home to a house full of love.

Happy belated Father's Day, guys ... you make all the difference in the world. And to my Dad ... wherever you are ... I miss you. Happy Father's Day.

The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through
My instrument
And his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band

Dan Fogelberg - Leader Of The Band

No comments:

Post a Comment