Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I've Removed Any Doubt ...


We have bunnies in our yard. Bunnies of various sizes ... here and there. It would be a very beautiful, zen sight ... if it weren't for my two miniature schnauzers. I live in mortal fear that I'm going to find another bunny carcass on our back porch.

(my ex-husband) added chicken wire to the bottom of our fence in areas we thought the bunnies were using as thoroughfares. That didn't work ... they don't understand the concept of "boundaries." They also apparently don't understand the idea of imminent doom ... as you'll soon see.

So I come home from work today and get the dogs out of the basement. As I open the back door to let them take their afternoon poopstitutional, I see a beautiful bunny in the yard. He's a few feet from the fence ... about mid-way down the property line.

I open the door ... assuming the bunny will run. He doesn't! My female schnauzer is a hunter ... and too smart for her own good. She doesn't go running over there. She hunkers down and starts stalking her prey.

I watch ... hoping the bunny will take off ... waiting ... praying the bunny will take off ... as our dog gets closer and closer ... and closer.

Finally I can take no more and I throw open the screen door and scream, "RUN, BUNNY, RUN!!!"

Apparently my outburst is enough to break the spell and zip the bunny's under the fence and gone. My schnauzer turns and looks towards the house. I swear to God, if dogs could speak, she would have literally uttered the words, "What the hell were you thinking?"

So ... I saved a bunny's life tonight ... and, in the process, lost the respect of my neighbors ... who now must think I'm a total nut case. [sigh] Isn't this summer over yet???

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit