Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Let The Merry Bells Keep Ringing ...


Happy Holidays to you!

Well, it's December 26th and we've made it through another holiday season. We had a beautiful and quiet Christmas over here at the ThirtyWhat homestead. And now that the dust has settled, what did I learn during this festive yuletide? I learned that you'd be surprised at what you can do without.

I'm not talking about finances. Sure, we've had our share of lean years. But this time around, money wasn't the issue. Christmas day marked the two and a half week mark since my surgery ... and I learned quickly that you have to pick your battles.

I'm not supposed to lift anything over five pounds ... basically anything heavier than a gallon of milk. So that right there eliminates a few crucial things. There wasn't going to be a ham ... and there certainly wasn't going to be a turkey.

The solution? A large meat and cheese tray, a small seafood tray, and a couple of bags of dollar rolls can make a nice dining room spread. Throw in some crackers and chips ... and two bowels of dip? You've got yourself a feast with little to no work.

Normally I'd bake two or three pies ... this year we had a plate of miniature brownies and a plate of strawberries and grapes. Normally I'd dig out my dinner set with the adorable snowmen ... this year we used Chinette. And snap ... just like that we knocked the mountain back down to a molehill.

Of course, my family gets all the credit. (my ex-husband) took one for the team and did every bit of shopping this year. It was a huge task. Christmas night, the girls brought the food out and set it up in the dining room ... and they did all the clean-up afterwards. That alone was a priceless gift.

So I hope your holiday was as peaceful as ours ... and may each and every one of us have a warm, safe New Years!

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet
And days of auld lang syne

Traditional - Auld Lang Syne