Monday, April 09, 2007

Open Mouth ... Insert Foot ... Rinse ... Repeat ...


So I'm sure you've heard about the outcry over the statement made by Don Imus last week describing the student athletes at Rutgers as “nappy-headed hos.”

This morning, Mr. Imus tried a mia culpa by going on his radio program and saying, "Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it."

And so, with that, I give you ...

An Open Letter To Don Imus

If you're being sincere, and what you taken away from this experience is "that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it" then you've learned the wrong lesson. Here are the lessons you should have learned:

You don't have to be hurtful or insulting to be funny
You don't have to make racist comments to be edgy
You don't have to put people down to be cool
You don't have to humiliate people to be entertaining

Most people learn these lessons in grade school. I'm not sure how this managed to slip by ... but it obviously did. Signing up for the "2007 Celebrity 'Gosh, I'm Sure Sorry' Tour" isn't going to cut it ... there needs to be a sea change. And, regretfully, you're the only one who can do it.

I'll give you a hint though ... getting frustrated and saying, "I can't win with you people" to Sharpton ... ... not a good start ...

A change would do you good
A change would do you good
Hello, it's me, I'm not at home
If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone

Sheryl Crow - A Change (Would Do You Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment