Thursday, June 07, 2007

Just Call Me Happy Gilmore ...


Someone close to me yesterday said, "I never know what's going on in your life anymore ... because you never update your blog!" I guess I hadn't realized so much time had passed since my last post. It's been at least three weeks ... and I'm at a loss to produce a good excuse.

I suppose the root of the problem is that we've jumped into the "busy season" at my office. The busy season lasts about a month ... starting slowly in mid-May and building to a fever pitch in mid-June. The good news is this is the one time of the year we can earn overtime. The bad news is that each and every person in this office is worn down to their last nerve ... and it's starting to show.

Yesterday, I had ... what I guess I'd call an "outburst" ... during a meeting. I can't explain it ... because it's so not me. I normally keep any disgruntled tendencies to myself and work it out here instead.

It all starts with a meeting. We were going through a list of around 50 items that needed to be completed. Just to give you an idea of the kind of hell we were in, thirty minutes into the meeting, we were only on item 19. For the record, I don't think we even needed to have a meeting ... since most of us have worked here for years and are perfectly aware of our place in the giant cog of industry.

In any case, we got off topic at some point and everyone started talking about unrelated issues. After about five minute, the group leader spoke up, "I forgot ... does anyone know what number we're on?"

Being the smart ass that I am, I answered "44". At that moment, the heavens opened up, sunshine covered my world ... and he bought it. He skipped to 44 and started reading! Everyone at the table gave an audible sigh of relief ...

Well, not everyone. There's always one person who can't stop themselves from pissing on a parade. Sure enough, one of my co-workers said, "Wait a minute ... you skipped two whole pages!"

This is the point where the train leaves the tracks. In some sort of surreal Adam Sandler moment, I slapped my hands on the table and, before I could stop myself, blurted out, "SHUT UUUUUUUUUUPPPP."

So, in the interest of my mental health ... and the well being of my co-workers ... perhaps I should make a point of blogging more often. It really seems to keep those darker angels at bay ...

He's got to make his own mistakes
And learn to mend the mess he makes
He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it
He's noble enough to win the world
But weak enough to lose it
He's a new world man

Rush - New World Man

No comments:

Post a Comment