Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Geekdom is Complete ...


Long before Christmas, I started looking at new laptops. The back light on my old Toshiba went out ... and I decided to start a search for the perfect replacement.

Well, I found the perfect replacement back in late October. I fell in love with a new Toshiba on sale at Best Buy up in Bloomington ... unfortunately it was out of stock up north and in Springfield. So, disheartened, I agreed to wait until after Christmas and look for the same model after the holidays.

And, like a Frank Capra miracle, the first gift I opened Christmas morning was the laptop I'd been looking at for months.  And what have I done with my new electronic bundle of joy? Have I cured cancer? Have I started exploring human DNA? No. I opened a trial account on "World of Warcraft." Oh yes, I'll admit it. Bizzard's ads got to me. With over 9 million subscribers, they hardly need spend money on marketing but ... it worked. Shatner and Mr. T were cool ... but my favorite was Vern Troyer's advert. Anyhow, I digress ...

True, I am jumping on this bandwagon WAY late. And I had no idea how immense the WOW universe has grown. I went on wiki thinking I'd read up a little on the game. Ha! Read up a little? It's got it's own encyclopedia ... it's expansive. It's like Diablo (which I loved) times a thousand.

In any case ... since it's a trial account, I'm just wandering around checking things out. I'm a gnome, by the way ... so if you play, keep your eyes open for a red-haired gnome who looks completely lost. That'll be me.


Sunlight dances through the leaves
Soft winds stir the sighing trees
Lying in the warm grass
Feel the sun upon your face
Elven songs and endless nights
Sweet wine and soft relaxing lights
Time will never touch you
Here in this enchanted place

Rush - Rivendell