Monday, March 10, 2008

Wherefore Art Thou Cookies?


For years there were three people in my office whose daughters sold Girl Scout Cookies. It was always awkward because if you ordered from one ... you better have ordered from the others. And hey, that wasn't too terribly bad ... because really, who doesn't want more Thin Mints, right?

Well, over the years, their girls have grown up and left Girl Scouts ... and I, therefore, am left without a dealer. Normally, that's fine ... because every weekend, there are Girl Scouts pimping out their cookies at Walmart's front door.

Until this weekend ...

Before we even left to do our grocery shopping on Sunday, I looked to see if I had cash on me.  I didn't.  But that was okay ... I could always ask for cash back when we checked out.

There wasn't a need ... because when we pulled up, the front door was empty. There wasn't a Girl Scout in site. There wasn't even a table where a Girl Scout might sit in the future. Nothing. Oh well ... cest la vie.

But ...

When we left the store with our mighty, mighty haul ... there they were. The little cookie-selling tricksters were out there ... their table spread with all the baked goodness of the rainbow. But, as I'd gotten no cash back ... I still couldn't buy any cookies.

Fine.

We went home, unloaded said mighty, mighty haul and discovered we were missing a bag. All of our bread goods were awol ... and a quick call to Walmart confirmed that we'd missed a bag on the spinning wheel of groceries.

Why drive clear back across town to get four dollars worth of bread that I could've bought at Shop n Save right up the street? Why the cookies of course! I had a devious plan to pick up my bag at customer service, hit the ATM machine, and then pick up a couple boxes of caramel, coconut joy.

Unfortunately ... I ... am cursed.

As I drove up, I saw that once again, they were gone. No Girl Scouts or table in sight. Sigh.

Sometimes you just have to face the fact that something is not meant to be. If you feel like you're swimming upstream ... you're going the wrong way.


Against the wind
I'm still runnin' against the wind
Well I'm older now and still runnin'
Against the wind

Bob Seger - Against The Wind