Thursday, August 05, 2010

Across The Universe ...


There's a funny connection between ourselves and the universe. I feel it some days more than others ... and in some situations more than others. For example ... in the last 7-14 days, I've found that there is a direct connection between my desire to go home ... and my corresponding workload.

It happens every time ... whether I merely think it or speak it out loud ... when I make a conscious decision to use my leave and go home early, I will inevitably be asked to attend a meeting or fix a computer issue. I can think to myself, "I don't have a lot going on at this moment, I could go home at 2:00 and get some sleep ..." and just like that ... someone will walk over and tell me a printer stopped working.

Similarly, I've found that the level of effort needed to fix these issues is in direct opposition proportionally to my need to unwind. If I "offhandedly" think about going home ... then someone will need me to take a look at a spreadsheet. If, however, I think that I won't be able to function if I can't just lay my head down ... then the universe will require me to upgrade an entire system.

Strange symbiotic relationship ... or paranoia based on sleep deprivation?

Perhaps a little bit of both ...

I'm just an average man
With an average life
I work from nine to five
Hey, hell, I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone
In my average home
But why do I always feel
Like I'm in the twilight zone

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

No comments:

Post a Comment