Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Sweet Grilled Cheezus ...


Did you watch Glee last night? Me too. Sucked didn't it? I hated almost everything about it. I don't even know where to start.

First and foremost, CollegeOne said it best last night ... not every atheist is an atheist because they're "mad at God." Not every atheist feels God has "wronged" them. It's an easy plot device ... but it's simply not true.

What about the people who compare faith to scientific fact and find the former lacking? What that episode needed was for Artie to stand up (metaphorically speaking, of course) and say something like, "I'm an atheist ... but I'm not mad at God. God didn't put me in this chair. A car accident put me in this chair ... and medical science, not prayer, is going to get me out of it."

On another note, Finn finds his spirituality (granted, it was through grilled cheese) ... and Emma Pillsbury takes it on herself to crush it under her heel. Now I'll admit she had to say something ... after all, there's a student sitting in front of her admitting he prays to a sandwich. But my God, the scene where he sits and eats it ... and then you see the empty plate ... how desolate was that? How depressing?

Kurt ... poor, poor Kurt. Because of my past experience, I feel for that character. No, I'm not gay. But my father had a heart attack, spent a month in the hospital, and I grew very tired of the religious hand wringing that went on. But I was much older than Kurt ... and with age comes patience. You realize that people mean well. They're only doing what they think is right. In any case, Kurt was lashing out ... and I understand that.

The whole episode was heavy handed and morose. Bringing Sue's sister out every time they want to show her humanity ... how many times can you play that card? And by God, if Finn truly believed the sandwich was answering prayers, why wouldn't he have asked for Burt Hummel to be healed?

Did I like anything about this episode? Yes ... yes, I did. I loved Grilled Cheezus ... and look what happened to him ...

When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best
When I lay me down to die
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you in better spirits. At least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete