Monday, November 22, 2010

My Personal Marathon ...


If you trained for a marathon ... you could run one. By the finish line you'd be tired and sore ... but at the end of the day you'd feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

But let's say the next day you wake up and someone says, "Okay, time to run another marathon!" Okay, you can do it. You're strong ... you're resilient. You come home even more tired ... even more sore ... but you make it.

But now it's the third day and someone wakes you up and says, "Okay, time to run another marathon!" and you're already exhausted. You can barely walk, let alone run ... and yet, you're out there running it.

Now let's say this goes on for months. Six months. Every day you wake up and you run that marathon. At this point you're not worried about how fast you finish or how strong you finish ... you're just praying you make it to the finish line at all.

That ... is living with cancer.

Sure, it sucks ... but that's just how it is. It doesn't matter that you're sore or tired or ready to just sit down and cry ... you just have to push through it because there really isn't any other choice.

And at the end, there isn't a medal or a trophy ... at the end, if you're lucky, you have your loved one with you and you can grow old together ... which is much better than a trophy, if you ask me.

So yes ... yes, I'm tired. Yes, I should sleep more. No, I'm not eating right. Yes, I do need time for me. But this ... this is important. It will probably be the most important thing I do. At the very least it's the most important thing I've done so far ...

So run the marathon with me ... or get out of the way. Because I don't have time to discuss how things should be ... I'm too busy living with the way things are right now.

Don't wanna wait til tomorrow
Why put it off another day
One by one, little problems
Build up and stand in our way
One step ahead, one step behind
Now you gotta run to get even
Make future plans, I'll dream about yesterday
C'mon turn, turn this thing around

Van Halen - Right Now

No comments:

Post a Comment