Thursday, August 02, 2012

Gravity Hurts ...

There are no blueprints to life.  Every thing we do ... deciding where we live ... deciding what career to follow ... even something as simple as whether to turn left or right ... each choice decides which path we take.  We lose our way when we find ourselves on the wrong path, with no idea how we got there.  It's a humbling experience ... to believe that you're doing what's right ... only to find that you were so very, very wrong.

I'm not sure where I made the wrong turn.   I can tell you a dozen different possibilities ... some as recently as a few months ago ... others further back than I care to think about.   But in the end, my sin was that I trusted the wrong person.   I believed the most sacred gift you could give someone was to love them unconditionally ... to be there for them and support them when they were right ... and to support them even more when they were wrong.

But I've discovered that this only works when it goes both ways.   If you support someone unconditionally ... and they don't treat you the same way ... then you're nothing but a sucker ... an easy mark.   And in the coming weeks and months, I will hopefully heal enough to want to talk about it ... if for no other reason than to share my story with others who may be in the same boat.

But in the meantime, I'll just share this.   Because I am wide awake ...


I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was in the dark
I was falling hard
With an open heart
I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong?
I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems
I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was dreaming for so long

I wish I knew then
What I know now
Wouldn't dive in
Wouldn't bow down
Gravity hurts
You made it so sweet
'Til I woke up on
On the concrete
Katy Perry - Wide Awake