Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Like It Here ...


Fuck me running uphill backwards on a horse in the driving snow. Seriously?

Yesterday, I was working at my desk when the cleaning lady came in to empty my trash can. She casually said, "Good luck in St. Louis ..." and I stopped ... and stared with my mouth slightly open. "Huh?"

She apologized, "I am SO sorry. I heard you were going to be moving. I shouldn't have said anything." I told her it was alright ... but that nothing was set in stone. She left ... and I ... was ... pissed.

I have no idea who keeps pressing this issue. I do not want to move to St. Louis. Jesus H. Christ. Everyone around here assumes I'm going ... and while it may be unavoidable, it is not what I want to happen. I'm looking for other federal jobs here ... trying to find something that will keep me where I'm at. But meanwhile, everyone from my office to HQ keeps asking ... "So, what do YOU plan on doing?"

What do I plan on doing? I plan on having a job and having health insurance ... other than that, everything else is up for grabs. Although I check the job boards every day, I think I'm in denial. I have this secret hope that something will happen that will stop this office from closing. But it isn't looking good.

Every week, another employee gets transferred to Washington or Michigan or Colorado ... and every week it gets more and more depressing around here. We started out with about 25 staff members. We're down to thirteen ... and by March of next year we'll have nine people at the most. Between retirements and transfers, people keep disappearing. It's like I'm living in an episode of the Walking Dead ... without zombies ...

So I'm keeping an eye out for openings ... and in the meantime, if I find out who is telling people that I'm definitely moving, I'm going to remove their balls with a paperclip ...

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

Rush - Tom Sawyer