Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Just Keep Swimming ...



Jesus H. Christ ... I am so depressed.   Today we heard a rumor that members of management will start getting their reassignment letters in late January.   If I remember correctly, once you get a reassignment letter, you have 30 days to respond.  If you accept your new locality position, you have 120 days to report for duty.

But what happens if you don't accept?   No one knows.  Do you get to stay until the office actually closes ... and turn the lights off as you leave?  Or are you out of a job immediately?   The only thing we know for sure is that eventually you would get a RIF notice that gives you preferential treatment towards another federal job ... assuming you could find another federal job.

Ugh.   This particular piece of gossip doesn't affect me directly ... I'm not in management so I won't be part  of this round of letters.  It's just one more sign that our office will be closing. 

I've been looking at the federal job listings at least once a week.  Today, I found an opening ... I could apply to transfer to the IRS to work as a Case Worker.   Basically ... it's a help desk position.   The duties include answering tax questions ... taking care of people's issues ... acting as an advocate for people with tax problems.   I haven't had to cover a help desk in years ... but I still haven't forgotten that particular level of perdition.

So what to do ... apply to be a case worker?  Start looking in the private sector?  Relocate to St. Louis?  I don't know.   I still have time ... for now, I guess I'll just keep looking ...


Time, time tickin’ tickin’ tickin’
Tickin’ away
Time, time tickin’ tickin’ tickin’
Time, time tickin’ tickin’ tickin’
Tickin’ away
Time, time tickin’ tickin’ tickin’

Don Henley - The Last Worthless Evening