Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Random Thoughts ...


Like every other school in the history of learning ... my school had cliques.  We had the jocks ... the FFA kids ... the shop/building trades stoners ... the math/science geniuses ... the business girls ... the art/music geeks ...

But my high school was rather odd in that we were required to declare a major and a minor ... like a small, rural college.  The college prep kids were all Math/Science majors.  Stoners were almost always found in Shop/Building Trades.  Sons and daughters of farmers were always part of the FFA crowd.

Basically, if you didn't want to go to college, you applied yourself in businesses courses or building trades or agriculture courses or went to CAVC and learned nursing.   I majored in Business ... typing, accounting, stenography ... and minored in Arts.   The business classes were easy ... just a means to make myself employable ... but really ... I was an Arts kid through and through.

Home was the basement of the school ... where the art classes were held.   That's where the paint and the India ink and the charcoal was ... where the clay and the pewter and the paper was ... that's where I was.  If I wasn't playing piano for the choir or up on stage with the drama club, I was downstairs in the basement working on some still life or making prints.

I had every intention of being a creative adult.   I was going to paint ... I was going to sketch.   In fact, one entire wall of my my first apartment was covered with sketches I'd made ... sketches of everything from tennis shoes to keys to handcuffs.   I used to go to poetry open mic nights and take my sketch book ... so I could draw the fascinating people who would inevitably show up.   But ... we get older ...

My grandmother painted ... her sisters painted ... my cousin painted ... and me ... I doodle.   I suppose I should put more creative effort into ... something.  I do try to be creative with gifts and notes and such.   But the drive I used to have to fill sketchbooks full of pictures of coffee mugs and makeup and empty plates ... that's just not there right now.   It makes me sad.  But in the meantime ... I just draw bears ... and blog ...

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real

I've been living so long with my pictures of you

That I almost believe that the pictures are all I can feel

The Cure - Pictures of You