Sunday, March 17, 2013

How Are Things in Glocca Morra?

  
Happy St. Paddy's Day, everyone!

On my mother's side of the family, we are Irish and Scottish ... a strange, lovable, fun mix.   Get togethers are always memorable ... there are all sorts of charming stories about our Irish ancestors being thrifty and our Scottish ancestors being cheap ... and everyone takes offense at the stereotype of Irish being drinkers ... as they sit with a beer in their hand ... and from the outside I suspect we look like a small ginger convention.

Last night was family night ... only instead of a restaurant, we went to my Aunt's house for her annual St. Patrick's Day feast.  She makes enough corned beef and cabbage to feed an army.  New potatoes with bacon ... candied carrots ... so ... much ... food.   Then on top of it, my cousin's wife has taken to bringing her own dish ... at Christmas it was a crock pot of her delicious lasagna ... this holiday it was a crock pot of decadent, homemade macaroni and cheese.  I wouldn't tell them ... but secretly it's hilarious to sit back and watch those two compete ... each taking note of who is eating more of "their" food.

Despite having fun and being exhausted, I didn't sleep well last night.  Around three o'clock, I woke up after having ... an interesting ... dream.    I tossed and turned until I finally dozed back off around five.  It was a rough night.  And if that wasn't enough, when I woke up at eight, I had an absolutely splitting headache ... and while it's gone, it's left me in a bit of a ... funk.   Nothing horrible, mind you.   I'm just not as ... animated ... as I usually am.

The laundry hasn't been done ... the mail is still unopened on my headboard ... the receipts still need to be put into Quicken ... but I think I may wait until tomorrow for all that.   This year, St. Patrick will have to be the patron saint of Tylenol ... and Sunday naps.

With mother every Sunday to mass I'd proudly stroll
Then after that the orange lads would try to save my soul
For both sides tried to claim me, but I was smart because
I played the flute or played the harp, depending where I was
Oh it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen
My father he was orange and my mother she was green

The Irish Rovers - The Orange and the Green

No comments:

Post a Comment