Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sometimes We Forget ...

 
So ... as I've talked about many, many times here, I have kidney issues.  I've gone through periods with a lot of pain and bleeding ... I've had kidney stones and surgery.   But I've been really blessed lately.  I've watched my diet ... I don't have a lot of red meat ... and other than my blood pressure, I haven't had issues for quite awhile.  My function has hovered right around 30% since I got sick a year or so ago ... and unless something goes haywire,  I don't have to see the nephrologist again until June.

As I've mentioned once or twice (or much, much more ...), I gave up Cherry Coke for Lent.  Wait ... you're asking yourself ... what do these two subjects have in common? 

Yesterday my best friend and her husband invited me to see a movie ... which meant it was my first time at a movie theater without Cherry Coke.  Cherry Coke and movies go together ... you can't have one without the other ... normally.   Last night, my plan was just to get a bottle of water and be a good girl ... but then I saw the fountain soda.   AMC sells Mr. Pibb. 

Oh ... Pibb ... I've missed you ... you and your cousin, the good doctor.
 
I haven't drank either of those beverages for a couple years.   After my nephrologist told me that Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are two of the hardest things for your kidney to process ... and called them "stone makers" ... I eliminated them from my life completely.   After having surgery to have that big-ass kidney stone removed a couple years ago, I made the decision to never have it again.  And I didn't ...

Until last night ...
 
Because stupid me thought ... what could one night hurt?   What could drinking Mr. Pibb one time do?  After all, I haven't had it in so long!   Oh, and that Pibb was good ... so good.  In fact, truth be told ... it was a hell of a lot better than the movie.   Mr. Pibb and popcorn ... I was in heaven.

Until this morning ... when I woke up and could hardly stand.  My back has been killing me.   I had to take a pain pill just to get moving.   I decided I would push through it ... that I would make myself be productive ... but after running errands and doing a little shopping, I came home and laid down on a heating pad and took a nap.   The pain medicine has completely worn off ... and I'll have to take another here soon ... but damn, I learned my lesson.

When I was drinking it last night, I was thinking, "Why did I ever give this up?"   This is why ...
 
'Cause I haven't got time for the pain
I haven't got room for the pain
I haven't the need for the pain
Not since I've known you
Carley Simon - Haven't Got Time For The Pain