Sunday, April 14, 2013

It's a Good Tired ...


Okay ... time for honesty.  Brutal ... unpleasant ... honesty.

For the last year or so, I haven't done much of anything to my house.  My "living area" is perfect, as the girls can attest.  As soon as I got the house back, I cleaned and organized my bedroom and walk-in closet ... I stripped and cleaned the upstairs bathroom and the guest bedroom.   Over the year, I worked on several projects like cleaning the living room and the dining room and emptying the video closet ... but at some point I just ... stopped.

Since I'm being honest, it happened when I was working on the second empty bedroom upstairs.  I was going through things ... boxing up old books and stuff to take to goodwill ... and I found some things that I really wish I hadn't.  I knew what was going on, don't get me wrong ... but still ... finding evidence of it wasn't awesome.  And it seemed like every time I started cleaning, I found more things that either made me angry or depressed ... or both.  And so ... I just ... stopped.

But yesterday I had a moment of zen ...

I want to invite my guy over here.  I want to make us dinner.  I want to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie.  I want to feel comfortable having someone hang out at my house.  And that is never going to happen if I don't get off my ass and fix this.

I've been using the "guest bathroom" downstairs as my "get ready for work bathroom" ... and it was, to put it nicely, a mess.  So today I got a box and moved all my makeup and hair stuff upstairs.   Then I got to scrubbing ... getting the makeup off the sink ... wiping down the mirrors and the faucets.  Now if guests come over I won't be embarrassed to have them using the downstairs bath.

Then I started working on the back room.  I'd say I'm about halfway done.  The floor's a mess ... and the carpet's gonna have to come up ... but I'm doing as much as I can.   I bought a new table cloth and place mats for the kitchen table ... and I mopped the kitchen floor.   I think the next step is to make a to do list tonight ... knock items off one by one ... and it shouldn't take too long.

Basically I worked like a dog today and I'm exhausted ... but I made a dent and it feels good.  I've told myself no matter what I find at this point, I'm pitching it and moving forward.   I have a goal ... and it's a happy goal.  It's just going to take some elbow grease ... and a spoonful of sugar ...

Come my little friends
As we all sing a happy little working song
Merry little voices clear and strong
Come and roll your sleeves up
So that we can pitch in
Cleaning crud up in the kitchen
As we sing along
Amy Adams - Enchanted - Happy Working Song

No comments:

Post a Comment