Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reasons I Smile ...



Today ... I'm going to write about hobbies.   I know the other day I said I wasn't going to look back anymore ... but sometimes it helps to get things out of our heads.

Everyone has hobbies ... well, just about everyone.   Some of us enjoy writing or reading or painting.  Some people love sports .... others love movies.  Some people live to travel and others spend their time cooking and trying new recipes.  There's a world of things to do ... and there's a world of people who love doing them.

But ... imagine someone who doesn't have a single hobby.   Someone who doesn't enjoy reading ... who doesn't like sports ... who doesn't want to watch movies or television ... who doesn't like being outdoors or indoors ... who doesn't dream of traveling ... but hates staying home.   Imagine someone who is miserable because there is nothing that makes them happy.  For what it's worth, there's a name for it.  Doctors call it anhedonia ... the inability to experience pleasure.

That's what life used to be like around here.  It was difficult ... primarily because I'm the polar opposite.  I find joy in just about everything.   I'm fine with being home.  Home means reading books and watching movies or television ... or drawing or painting ... or playing piano ... or crocheting ... or writing ... cooking something tasty or taking a nap.   Seriously ... there's a hundred things I can do to keep myself occupied ... and that's not even counting things that require leaving the house like movies or dinners or game nights with friends.  There's so much to do and see in life, that you just can't experience it all!

And so ... fast forward.  I have someone special now ... and he likes football.  He likes lots of other things, of course ... but for the sake of this post, we're talking about football.  Tomorrow there's some big draft thingy going on ... and his enthusiasm makes me smile.  To see him enjoying something is very zen ... again ... it's the normality.   I suppose at some point this will burn off and it won't make me smile every time he talks about poker or sports ... but for the time being, just seeing him happy makes me very happy.

It's odd ... I know.  All I can say is that I think I'll get more normal as time goes on.   But for the time being ... when I'm out with the girls tomorrow night getting a pedicure and having dinner, it will genuinely make me smile to think he's watching his football stuff and having a blast.  It's weird to think ... this is how it's supposed to be ... I just didn't know it ...

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain,
I like watchin' the puddles gather rain
And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
And speak my point of view but it's not sane

Blind Melon - No Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment