Tuesday, April 23, 2013


I write two checks every month ... one to pay my mortgage ... and one to pay a loan.  Two checks ... that's it.  Other than that, I pay my bills online ... most through my credit union's bill pay ... the rest through the websites of the companies I owe ... Comcast, Springfield Clinic, etc.  Two checks ... that's it.

Which means that anything else I purchase is bought with my debit card.  Groceries ... gas ... clothes ... entertainment ... everything goes through that little piece of plastic.  Or at least ... it did.  I'm one of the unlucky ones whose debit cards were compromised when Schnuck's system got hacked.   I'm not out any money.  My account is fine.  However, my debit card was cancelled this morning ... and I won't get the new one for seven to ten days.

When the credit union first called me this morning, I thought ... seven to ten days ... that's not long.  But then I went grocery shopping at Shop n Save ... and had to write a check.  Then I went to Walgreens ... and had to write another check  Then I went to County Market ... and had to write yet another check.  Sweet baby Jesus ... what an enormous pain in the ass!

This isn't the end of the world ... it's really just an inconvenience.  I feel so self conscious when there are people behind me and I have to ask, "Can I write a check?"  It's so outdated ... I feel like I'm asking if I can pay with Confederate greenbacks.  Ugh ... that replacement card can't get here soon enough ...

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay
And you're O.K.
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands
And make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Pink Floyd - Money

No comments:

Post a Comment