Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Run You Clever Boy ... and Remember ...


I finally watched the Doctor Who finale last night ... two days late.  But, hey, I was busy Saturday night having an amazing time ... such an amazing time that I'd watch it late a thousand times over.  In any case ... there is an amazing, heartbreaking scene between River Song and the Doctor.  It brought tears to my eyes.  If you haven't watched the finale yet, stop reading now ... because as River would say ... spoilers, sweetie ...

River Song has never been my favorite character.  I loved the idea of River ... I loved the actress playing River.   But ... it always felt as though we would eventually find out their relationship was one built out of necessity.   Watching them interact, it was obvious that River loved the Doctor ... but it never felt as though the Doctor loved her.

But last night, we saw that the Doctor always loved her.  It just hurt him far too much to show it.  We haven't seen the depth of their relationship yet ... I mean they're married for goodness sake, there has to be an epic love story in there somewhere.  And with the finale we still haven't seen their story ... but we saw their goodbye.

River: "It's hard to leave when you haven't said goodbye."
Doctor: "Then tell me, because I don't know... how do I say it?"
River: "There's only one way I'd accept. If you ever loved me,
say it like you're going to come back."
Doctor: "Well then ... see you around, Professor River Song."
River: "'Till the next time, Doctor."
Doctor: "Don't wait up."
River: "Oh, there's one more thing ..."
Doctor: "Isn't there always?"
River: "I was mentally linked with Clara, if she's really dead ...
then how can I still be here?"
Doctor: "Okay?  How?"
River: "Spoilers ... Goodbye ... Sweetie ... "

The tale of Clara as the impossible girl is interesting ... the Great Intelligence and the Whisper Men were good ... but it's the love of River and the Doctor that really moves me.

River: "How are you even doing that? I'm not really here ..."
Doctor: "You're always here to me, and I always listen,
and I can always see you"

So now we wait ... until November for the series to return ...

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Tom Petty - The Waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment