Sunday, June 30, 2013

Friday Five: Austerity


The hardest thing about losing someone dear to you is that the world just keeps on turning.  Even though your life grinds to a halt when you get that call ... everything else goes on.   Friday, before the visitation, I got out my laptop and paid some bills.  No matter how sad I was, the cable and utility companies still wanted their cut.

It's the day after the funeral and I'm left with this feeling of ... now what.  I've been up for hours and I just feel lost.  I went downstairs and made some strawberry lemonade.  I did a load of laundry.  I've been talking to her husband and Stoney off and on ... just trying to get back to a shade of normal.  It keeps raining ... and as much as I've always loved rain, now it just feels like the world is crying for her.

Tomorrow I'll be back at work ... because the world just keeps on turning.  Now it's just a matter of getting our footing ... taking care of her husband and her friends who are hurting so badly.  I know what she's saying at this very moment.  Get up ... take care of things ... because I'm alright now.

The Friday 5 
 
When you have to cut back on spending for a time, what are the niceties you’re least likely to give up even though you could (or should)? - I'm least likely to give up Internet access.  Because ... I'd hate to give up cable ... but if I had Internet, I could always use Hulu and Netflix.  Who knows ... it may come to that next year if I can't find a job before my severance runs out.  But trust me ... Internet access will be the last thing that will go.

In leaner times, what are your go-to “famine foods?” - I've done the ramen noodle thing before.  At one point when I was first out of high school, I used to get eggs because a carton of eggs and a loaf of bread was like twelve little meals.  Basically now it's just a matter of making myself eat what's in the house.  Instead of picking up something on the way home, I'll tell myself to just use what I have.  It's a good plan when I stick to it.

How do you keep yourself amused or entertained in times requiring great frugality? - Television and books I suppose.  I love to read ... so there's that.  Plus I started using RedBox where I can rent a movie for a dollar.  Come to find out ... there's a lot of ways to entertain yourself that don't cost very much. 

When was the last time you had to go into austerity mode? - Right after everything blew up, I went into "save" mode.  I didn't know how long I would have to go without or what would be left when everything was said and done.  I needed a television for the living room ... and I wanted an iPhone.  It took a year ... but I've got them both now.  I used to be bad about wanting something right now ... patience is something I've developed in the last year.

What’s a necessary expenditure others might consider an extravagance? - My home phone would be the best guess.  With everyone shutting off land lines and only using a cell, my home phone must seem like an unnecessary extravagance.  Once you've been in my home and have seen first hand that there is almost no cell service in my neighborhood, it becomes obvious why I pay the extra money.

My bills are all due and the baby needs shoes and I'm busted
Cotton is down to a quarter a pound, but I'm busted
I got a cow that went dry and a hen that won't lay
A big stack of bills that gets bigger each day
The county's gonna haul my belongings away
Cause I'm busted

Ray Charles - Busted

1 comment:

  1. *hugs* I know what it's like to lose someone who is so ingrained into you. And to have to still pay those everloving bills...and to keep marching forward. The "this sucks" won't stop for a while, but the strawberry lemonade and other little things that make a happy difference will still be there. :-) ♥

    ReplyDelete