Thursday, June 20, 2013

Rest in Peace ...


My Cousin, My Brother, My Friend
Rest in Peace
1967-2013
 
Tonight was a long, dark night for my cousin.  I wish I would've had one more chance to talk to him and tell him I love him.  The last time we talked, he could barely communicate because of the painkillers.  He told me he was sorry ... and it broke my heart.

His sister told me late Monday night that his journey was at an end.  He passed away about a half hour ago ... leaving so much sadness in his wake.  He died of colon cancer at age 45 ...

A thousand stories ... told around a thousand tables at a thousand bars while having a thousand shots and laughing a thousand laughs. We watched The Wall a dozen times. We watched Fandango a dozen more.  He was my wing man.  He was my straight man.  He was my perpetual bodyguard.  He told me when I needed to get my shit together ... and he told me that quite frequently back in my early 20's.

Several months back we met for dinner ... the last dinner we had together ... and he made me promise something.  I listened, cuz.  I listened ... and I took your advice to heart.  And wherever you are, I hope you can hear me say ... you were right.  Again.

We all need him here ... but he isn't hurting anymore. Sometimes the needs of the one really do outweigh the needs of the many. 

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting so long
Somebody holds the key
Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home

Steve Winwood - Can't Find My Way Home

No comments:

Post a Comment