Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I Couldn't Have Asked For a Better Day ...


Let's face it.  At times ... I can be a little ... high strung.  It's a character flaw, I know ...  

For the last five days or so, I was a nervous wreck.  I wasn't sleeping.  I was swallowing Imodium tablets like they were Tic Tacs.  Logically, I knew I should just relax and let things take their course ... but my stomach wasn't listening to logic.

It wasn't them.  Stoney is a great guy ... and I knew his parents would be too.  No, if I'm being honest ... I was worried that they would see me as terribly undeserving of their son.   In the big "T Square" of pros and cons, I added up the sides and it didn't look good.  I'm divorced ... I can't give him babies ... I'm older than him.   I'm not entirely sure what they envisioned as the girl their son would bring home ... but I was fairly sure I wasn't it.

If I was a disappointment, they were certainly good at hiding it.  His parents were so nice and friendly.  We spent the afternoon talking and telling stories.  His mom makes these incredible genealogy books ... binders full of photos and copies of documents and lists of important dates.  She let me see a couple of them ... and if we'd been there longer, I'd have asked to see more.  His dad is great.  He made a funny comment that actually made Stoney blush ... I think I'm gonna like this guy!

At the end of the visit, his mom and dad both hugged me ... and I gave his mom my e-mail address.  It was such a great day.   I couldn't have asked for a better first meeting with them ... and I'd go see them again in a heartbeat.  

After leaving his parents, we headed into Peoria to see a movie ... and by the time the evening was at an end, we were both exhausted from the long day.   But even tired ... I can barely keep my eyes open writing this ... I am so happy ... and so content.  You know those rare days you wish you could keep in a jar and remember it forever?  This was one of those days ...

There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss.
No other road
No other way
No day but today

Rent - No Day But Today

2 comments:

  1. Well you were certainly due for one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, scrivener! After being a big ball of stress for days, it's nice to relax! :)

    ReplyDelete