Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Didn't See THAT One Coming ...


Wow!  Sometimes people surprise you ... then sometimes people shock the living shit right out of you!

Several months ago ... I can't remember how far back but we're talking several months ago ... maybe January or February ... Mom and I were out to dinner and she asked me, "You really like Stoney, don't you?"  I just shrugged and said, "He's a great guy."  She persisted, "Okay ... but that's not what I asked ..."

It irritated me a little ... and I said, "What exactly are you wanting to hear?" and she said, "Okay fine ... admit that you like him more than you want to like him."  I think I admitted it ... although I gave her crap about wanting to have a "but do you like like him" conversation ... as if we were back in junior high.

Fast forward ... and I will admit I have been trepidacious about talking with her too much about my relationship with Stoney.  My divorce wasn't ... easy.  Amicable isn't a word I'd use to describe it.  Mom went with me to get the Order of Protection ... she went with me to see the State's Attorney when he broke the OP ... and went back up with me when he broke it again. 

So I was expecting, at some point, for her to confront me with a stern "we aren't going through this again" conversation.  Wow.  How wrong could I have been??? 

She called me this evening ... wanting to hear all the details about how yesterday went.  After exchanging pleasantries, she started the conversation with, "So!  How'd it go with the new in-laws?"

Unfortunately I was taking a drink of lemonade at the moment she said that ... and nearly choked to death.  

After I stopped coughing and sputtering and got my breath back, I asked her, "What the hell?" and she said ... "What?  You're divorced.  You're even annulled!  I can say that, can't I?" 

Sweet baby Jesus, Mom!   I just met his parents 24 hours ago!  How bought we let that dough rise a little, okay? 

I knew she liked Stoney ... but holy crap!   My mom doesn't usually surprise me.  So ... good job, Mom ... I didn't see that one coming!

It's the perfect time of day
To throw all your cares away
Put the sprinkler on the lawn
And run through with my gym shorts on.
Take a drink right from the hose
And change into some drier clothes
Climb the stairs up to my room
Sleep away the afternoon.

Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me

No comments:

Post a Comment