Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day Two: Trying To Be Productive Is Exhausting ...


And we close on day two.  Despite spending quite a lot of my time upstairs, we're going to call today a win.

Today, my goal was to apply for five jobs.  I don't know why I picked five ... other than the fact it's a nice, round number.   The first one was easy ... I needed to submit my information to CSC.  I already knew about an opening there and I have someone on the inside looking out for my application.  But after that?  Things were a little disappointing.

I looked at Memorial and Springfield Clinic first.   Let me assure anyone out there who is an RN that you, my friend, can write your own ticket.  There are dozens upon dozens of jobs out there for nurses.   General administrative office stuff ... not so much.   There wasn't a single job open with Sangamon County ... which was disheartening.

But if I'm anything, I'm persistent ... and so before my morning was over, I'd applied for the Illinois' Treasurer's Office, a law firm. an engineering firm, and a computer systems company.  Along with CSC, that makes five ... five applications that weren't even a stretch.  They were all jobs I could easily do.

As the search goes on, I'm sure I'll have to be more flexible.  For instance, there was a job open at Springfield Clinic ... but it was working with billing and overdue accounts.  I really don't want to be a debt collector.  I don't want to hound people for money.  But give me a month or so?  And I'm sure that won't seem like an unreasonable request.

In the meantime, I did keep myself busy ... I filled out those applications ... went in for my last blood test for the foreseeable future ...  put up some Halloween decorations ... paid a few bills ... picked up some groceries with Mom ... returned a movie at Redbox ... I took two bags of junk out of the spare bedroom and pitched them. 

I didn't sit around ... I tried to be productive.  I can't lie ... I don't know why ... but for whatever reason, I'm bone tired. 

I had my night all planned out ... I was going make chicken spring rolls, sit in my yoga pants, and watch some new Fall television.  No ... instead I'm going to dinner with my brother ... who still hasn't figured out that he isn't a human Christmas present.   For some mind boggling reasons, he believes he can call and say, "Guess what?  I'll be there in 45 minutes!" and we'll be all like, "WOW!  Really?  That's cool ... I didn't have anything planned!"

Smile. 
Be social. 
It's for one night. 
After all, I can always sleep in tomorrow, right?

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy

No comments:

Post a Comment