Tuesday, October 29, 2013

At the End of Day Two ...


I successfully made it through day two of my new life in the private sector.  I think I'm catching on to the easier stuff.  On a scale of one to ten ... one being the easiest of tasks and ten being something so hard I haven't even been told about it yet ... I'm comfortable right around two. 

There are a couple jobs I can do without help.  Even with those though ... we're weeding through the queue and only pulling out the ones that I can handle.  There was one item today that even my trainer wouldn't take.  That was a little daunting ... to hear him say, "Oh no, I'm not touching that one."  Heck, if he can't pull it, who can??

The days are long.  That part, if I'm being honest, is a little depressing. 

The last two days I've left here about 7:30 and I haven't left the office until 5:30.  Part of the problem is that I haven't gotten used to the drive so I'm leaving early.  The other part is that everyone there takes a sixty minute lunch.   I'm used to 30 minutes ... so this is just an extra half hour we're tacking on the end of my day.

I don't know.  Until now, when Stoney would invite me over, I would get off at four o'clock ... go home, change clothes, feed the dog ... and I could easily be at his house making tacos around five.  Now ... I'm still at my desk at five.  I used to run errands after work ... I was always stopping by the grocery store or the bank.  But the last two days?   I've been so beat that I've just come straight home and collapsed.

Surely this won't be what it's like from now on, right?

I guess I'm just in a funk ... feeling sorry for myself.  Maybe six weeks of unemployment spoiled me? I suppose I grew accustomed to having all that free time.  It's a good job in a nice office working with friendly people.  So ... I'll get used to this.  Pretty soon, this will feel normal.  I've just gotta get to that point ...

And I've grown tired of traveling alone
Tired of traveling alone
I've grown tired of traveling alone
Won't you ride with me?

Jason Isbell - Traveling Alone

Note:  As I've said several times here, my favorite Drive By Truckers/Jason Isbell song is Goddamn Lonely Love ... and it still is, hands down.  But he played this song Sunday night and it's been stuck in my head all day.  It's beautiful ... take a listen if you've got a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment