Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Reconnections From Long Ago ...


When I was a freshman, I went to an all-girls Catholic high school.  I met a wonderful girl there, we'll call her Rose.  Rose was such a sweet girl.  She and her older brother had been adopted by a wonderful family ... a doctor and his wife who couldn't have babies of their own.

Her family seemed so wealthy ... so classy.  My family was very middle class and down to Earth ... while Rose's family had a membership at the country club and took trips to Ireland every year.  She played piano like me ... but also played flute ... took dance lessons ... her whole family played tennis.  I wasn't jealous of her ... but I thought her family was awesome.  I loved spending time at their house.

Things happened.  Our house was robbed ... and Mom took it hard.  We moved to the country and I transferred to a different school.  Rose and I tried to stay close.  She came out and spent the night ... I'd go to town and see her.  But those were the days before e-mail and text messaging.  Staying touch was a lot harder back then ... and we grew apart.

Thanks to Facebook, we found each other again a few years ago.  She's remarried ... and has four or five children now.  We've been trying to reconnect for well over a year now ... but between my divorce and her surgery ... we just kept missing each other.  Last night, we actually made plans! Thursday night we're meeting for dinner.

I'm excited ... and nervous.  I lost all my friends for so many years.  So many people that I was close to that just fell through the cracks.  Slowly but surely, it's gotten better.  I got my best friend back almost two years ago ... only to lose her again.  It's going to feel weird reconnecting again ... but I've missed Rose.  I'm not sure how much we have in common anymore ... but I suppose we'll find out.

Little by little ... piece by piece.   I have friends I care about ... and someone I love.  I have a lot to be thankful for.  Gosh, if I could just get a job, life would be pretty sweet!

What about your friends
Will they stand their ground
Will they let you down again
What about your friends
Are they gonna be low down
Will they ever be around
Or will they turn their backs on you

TLC - What About Your Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment