I went to Walmart and picked up a new shredder ... filled my gas tank ... did some grocery shopping ... worked on the laundry ... made a nice dinner. But in the middle of this, to use the infamous quote ... I hit a wall. And I hit it hard.
I was in County Market ... just wandering the aisles. I was like one of the walking dead ... up and down the same aisles. I finally bought what little was in my cart and left the store because I was afraid some kind Samaritan was going to ask me if I needed help.
It's been a great weekend. We made cookies. I got to have some of Stoney's homemade bread. I've run all my errands and all the bills are paid. But I'm about to go take the world's hottest shower ... I'm going to put on my new favorite sleeping shirt ... and once Walking Dead is over? I'm turning the lights off and calling it a day ...
1. How do you like to be treated when you’re feeling really sick? - I suppose I prefer to be left alone ... for the most part. Just bring me some juice or a soda ... an order of Chicken McNuggets helps immensely ... but other than that, just let me take the good cough syrup and watch Netflix and it'll all be good.
2. What’s something you do when you’re really sick that doesn’t make any sense or defies conventional wisdom? - Awhile back, I read that putting Vicks VapoRub on the bottoms of your feet and then wearing socks would help you get better faster. I tried it for awhile. Did it work? I don't know ... I haven't done it in awhile. Next time I get sick, I'll try it again and I'll let you know. But that's about the weirdest "unconventional" thing I've tried ...
3. When was the last time you were out of commission for an extended time? - My stroke back in 2011 I guess. Right before it happened, I had six weeks of annual leave saved up. I was going to have such a huge lump sum payment when the office closed. But ... it is what it is. I used almost all of it before I was released for work. I guess that's what your "leave bank" is for, right?
4. What’s the most unusual diagnosis you’ve had for an illness, if you don’t mind my asking? - I had intermittent pain in my abdomen for about three years. Sometimes it was very bad ... sometimes not so much. I ended up finding out that I had many kidney stones ... some tiny ... one so large it had to be surgically removed. But before they found those, I went to a myriad of doctors ... one of whom claimed it was caused by irritable bowel syndrome. Unless my kidney stones found a secret passage into my colon? Yeah no ... swing and a miss.
5. When you feel you’re about to come down with something awful, what steps do you take to beat it back? - I drink lots of orange juice and water ... try to get lots of rest. Usually though ... and I'm not being negative here, just honest ... nothing helps. When I get that feeling in my chest that tells me bronchitis is coming on ... nothing is going to stop it but medicine. My new health insurance doesn't kick in until December 27th ... so it's imperative that I don't have that feeling for another two months or so.
And the slow parade of fears
Now I want to understand
I have done all that I could
To see the evil and the good
You must help me if you can
Jackson Browne -
Doctor My Eyes