Thursday, December 26, 2013

God Bless Us Every One!


Holy moly!  I haven't written a post since Sunday ... and it's already Thursday!  This is a record.  I went almost a year without missing more than a day ... a year of almost posting at least 30 times per month.  But this week has been a whirlwind of activity ... and the blog had to take one for the team.

On Monday, Stoney and I were chatting about what to take to their family Christmas gathering.  He asked if I knew how to make peanut brittle ... and just like that ... I was off.  After I left the office, I stopped at the store to pick up peanuts, and went home and made two batches of peanut brittle ... and a cheesecake.  I'm not sure how I made it into bed that night.  Honestly everything after the brittle is a little foggy.

Tuesday was Christmas Eve ... and after I got off work, I went to Stoney's house to await Santa.  Stoney made us a delicious dinner ... and we watched Christmas specials and Scrooged and a Christmas Story.  When he suggested we open one present on Christmas Eve?  I nearly peed myself with joy.  My family always did that and I have missed the tradition so much

The first gift I opened was two of the cutest snowmen mugs and the fixin's for hot cocoa and s'mores.  The second gift .... because he called an audible and let us open two ... was so sweet I could've cried ... a crystal heart ornament that was etched with "Our First Christmas" and  "2013."

I think I squealed when I opened it ... not only because it was romantic and wonderful and made me want to tear up ... but because great minds think alike.  My version wasn't nearly as impressive.  I'd had an ornament made for him.  It had two mice kissing under the mistletoe with our names and the year ... and the back said, "Meet Me Under the Mistletoe."

We went to bed ... which is it's own story ... I think I'll write about "bed cartography" and "undeclared space" tomorrow.  But for now ... we woke up at 4:30 a.m. ... and convinced ourselves that five a.m. was a more "adult time" to open presents ... and made ourselves wait.  Here's where it gets funny and weird ... and shows that he knows me to an almost scary degree.

About five minutes till five, I said, "Before we open presents, I need to get a glass of lemonade."  He said, "Okay ... open presents first then lemonade."  I said, "Nope ... I need to get some lemonade.  I really need a Coke ... but I forgot to bring some ... so I'll settle for lemonade."  He said, "That might take too long ... let's open presents and then you can get a lemonade."  I insisted, "It won't take long ... I'll get it quick I promise ... I need something to drink!" 

He patiently convinced me to wait ... and I walked into the living room to find a Coca-Cola bear sitting on the couch ... with a two liter of cold Cherry Coke on one side of him ... and an Uncle Si cup on the other.  Seriously!  Could he know me better?!  Everything stopped while I got some ice and poured a cup ... thank you for being patient and waiting on me, Stoney ... and then everything was right with the world!

I could tell you what I got him ... but it doesn't matter.  It pales next to the beautiful necklace he got me ... and the diamond earrings.  I have felt like a pretty pretty princess for two days now!  I haven't taken them off.  I showered in them ... I slept in them ... if I could have the earrings soldered into my ears and the necklace soldered to my neck?  Oh, buddy, I would!

I appreciated the gummy bears (no, really I did ... I have developed a serious thing for gummy bears) ... and the "good" infusion pitcher (I say that to differentiate between the good pitcher he bought and the cheap pitcher that I bragged about that then broke after six weeks) ... and the VIP bag full of Bath & Body Works ... because, let me tell ya ... I smell gooooood.

But, like Amy Farah Fowler, I'm a princess and I've spent a lot of time stroking my ear lobes and playing with my necklace.  Christmas day we met Mom for lunch ... and then went to First Wife's house for a really wonderful dinner.  She feels like family ... I love hanging out with her.  That part of the holiday deserves it's own post ... not that it was bad at all  ... the complete opposite!  But I've already written a novel ... I should stop typing at some point.

We still have Stoney's family to see on Sunday ... and we're getting together with the girls sometime shortly after the New Year to have our family Christmas.  So the celebrating is far from over.  But I feel blessed and fortunate and happy and, to be honest, a little tired.  I hope everyone's holiday was as wonderful as mine ... because I feel special and loved and very, very, very happy.

'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do?
Baby, all I want for Christmas is you
You, baby

Mariah Carey -
All I Want For Christmas Is You

No comments:

Post a Comment