Monday, December 02, 2013

My Pet Peeve For Today ...


Here is my pet peeve for today ... Monday, December 2nd ...

If you have a baby ... it is your duty to take care of that baby.  Just because you have developed an ability to ignore it's window-rattling screams, doesn't mean the rest of humanity has developed that same skill.  I assure you, we haven't. 

So when you do your grocery shopping ... and walk clear from the bakery to the pharmacy ... up and down each aisle ... with your newborn screaming as if it was being stuck with a hot poker ... all you're doing is pissing off each and every person in the store ... and ignoring the one soul on the planet who is depending on you for everything.

I thought it was just me.  I've never really adjusted to the whole screeching baby thing ... but when I got to the checkout line and saw a dozen people standing there cringing at each cry ... and the clerk who looked like she wanted to rip someone's head off, I thought to myself, "It isn't just me ... they're pissed off too."

I get it ... babies cry.  Usually there's a reason.  It needs a bottle ... or a nook ... or a change.  Maybe it has colic and there is no reason.   But 30 minutes of constant bone-jarring screams ... without you giving that child a single glance?   That makes me weep for humanity ... and makes me want to come home and drink like a sailor.

I am not drinking tonight ... primarily because there isn't anything worth drinking in this house that contains alcohol.  But thanks to the chick at County Market tonight?  I could.  I so could ...

I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

George Thorogood -
I Drink Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment