Sunday, February 09, 2014

Friday Five: Like Family, Part 2

Well crap.  There's a reason I keep a calendar on my iPhone.  Honestly, without it?  I would have no idea what I should be doing or where I should be doing it at any given moment.  Even with it, it's still a crap shoot that I'll remember important dates.  Like Wednesday.

Wait, Thirtywhat ... isn't Valentine's Day Friday?  It sure is.  Wait, ThirtyWhat ... isn't the Avett Bros. concert on Thursday?  It sure is.  Well then what's with Wednesday??

Wednesday is the mammogram that I completely forgot about.  Well, fuckity fuck fuck fuck.  I have managed to put this off for four years ... and it looks like I've completely run out of excuses and ways to avoid it any longer.  
Dear God,

I think maybe you misunderstood me?  When I said that prayer asking for the girls to maybe get a little attention this week?  A mammogram was not what I had in mind.  Not funny, God.  Not funny.

Signed,
ThirtyWhat

The Friday 5 

1. In what good ways are you like your father? - I'm a lot like my dad in so many ways.  For starters, I look like his side of the family.   We're social ... he could talk to anyone.  I'm diplomatic like he was ... I'm the peace keeper.   He and I share almost identical tempers.  It took a lot to make him angry.  Oh sure, he got irritated ... but once he was angry?  Stand back.  I miss him ... some days more than others ... but I miss him terribly.

2. In what good ways are you like your mother? - My father was outgoing and social and funny.  My mother is an introvert ... the exact polar opposite of him.  I'm so much like him ... but I do have a lot of her in my too.  As I get older, more and more of her comes out.  When I was younger, I hated being alone ... I wanted to always be out doing something.  But as I get older?  I don't mind being alone.  Staying at home just reading a good book or watching a movie is a perfectly fine way to pass the time.

3. In what good ways are you like your sibling(s)? - In no way am I like my sibling.  He is a conservative right-wing religious Republican who openly says that if his child was gay he wouldn't want them in the house.  I don't want to be like him.  If I had to name something?  We both have addictive personalities ... his first weakness was drugs and now it's Jesus ... mine was originally alcohol and now food.  We're both generous to those we love.  But other than that?  No.  I don't want to be like him ...

4. In what good ways are you like another relative outside your immediate family? - My dad's side of the family is creative ... drawing and painting and sculpting.  My grandmother painted ... her sisters painted, one especially well ... I have a distant cousin who was an artist for years before opening a business and designing beautiful, award-winning cakes.   I'm like them in that way ... the creativeness.  If I'd pursued it years ago ... worked on my talents, I could've done something with it.  But now, it's all rusty and I'm reduced to doodling on Christmas cards and take out boxes.

5. In what good ways are you completely unlike anyone you’re related to? - I'm not a Cardinals Fan ...

Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
 But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League

Steve Goodman -
A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request

No comments:

Post a Comment