Friday, March 28, 2014

And Bells on Her Toes ...


I'm not terribly vain ... or at least I don't think I am.  I don't spend hours in front of the mirror.  I don't color my hair ... in fact, I'm kind of fond of my natural color.   I don't spend an exorbitant amount of clothes ... although I am a fan of shoes.   Worst of all?  The only shape I'm in ... is round.

I do have one girly weakness ... pedicures.

I've always had my toes painted ... always.  For years I did them myself ... always the same color of red.   Then a couple years ago, Idiots Anonymous got me going to the spa with her almost monthly.   A bunch of us would meet, get pedicures, and go out for margaritas.  It was so fun ... and really helped me out of  the funk I was in at the time.

It's something that has just stuck with me.  There's basically nothing on my body that I like ... but I do like my feet.  And pedicures make me feel girly ... and even a little pretty.

The last pedicure I had was just a day or so before Christmas.  Yes ... I'm perfectly aware how silly it is to get your toes done when there is snow on the ground.  But I was able to wake up Christmas morning and see bright red polish with little silver snowflakes on my feet ... it was like a tiny present to me.

So ... three months later, nearly all the polish was gone ... had been trimmed off.  My heels were a little rough .... and I wanted ... no, I needed a pedicure.

Yesterday I stopped at Payless and picked up my first pair of sandals for the summer ... and drove directly to the nail salon I always used last summer.  It was closed.  I went to another salon that I'd heard good things about ... and they were closed.  I finally gave up and drove home at seven o'clock last night ... frustrated and tired.

Tonight ... I didn't bother trying my end of town ... I headed west.  It ... was ... heaven.  I feel like me again!

My feet are back in their typical summer condition.  My toes are red ... my feet are soft.  It will be too cold to wear sandals this weekend ... but that's alright.  I'll know under my socks ... inside my boots ... my toes will be tapping to some great music ... and my toes ... will be cute.

Nope ... I'm not vain.  But my toes are.

Now I gotta cut loose, footloose
Kick off the Sunday shoes
Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees
Jack, get Mack, come on before we crack
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose

Kenny Loggins - Footloose

No comments:

Post a Comment