Thursday, March 20, 2014

Happiness Is Contagious ...


What a different 12 hours can make.   Seven hundred and twenty minutes ... to go from wanting to scream ... to being sublimely happy.

Last night I slept for eight hours without getting up once ... a feat that I'd been dreaming of for weeks.  Sure, it took two Tylenol PM to accomplish it ... but it happened.  Unfortunately, probably because of the sleeping aid, I woke up terribly disoriented.  I woke up hearing wind chimes ... and it took a good minute or two to fully understand that I was hearing my phone alarm and not actual wind chimes.

It was an unpleasant feeling ... had I slept the night through?  My throat was bone dry ... I hadn't drank any water all night ... my bladder was bursting ... I was hungover from the sleep aid ... and yes, I was irritable.   All of this seemed to combine to make for a morning from hell.

I fell back asleep and forgot to hit the snooze.  When I woke up 30 minutes later, I was panicked ... I would be late for work ... I had to hurry.   Everything I touched, I dropped.  I picked up my diamond earrings to put them in ... and dropped them.   I picked up my jeans and the change fell out and rolled under the bed.  I picked up the hairbrush to fix my hair ... and fumbled it and dropped it into the toilet.

I drove to work ... nearly hitting a guy on a bicycle who was too busy wearing earbuds and looking at his phone to notice the car he almost swerved into.   I got to work and my seat belt wouldn't retract ... I ended up with what looked like 50 feet of fabric laying in a puddle on my front seat.  I felt worn down by the world ... nothing had gone right.

Slowly but surely ... my day began to turn around.   Sure, we were busy ... but I was able to handle everything.  I spoke to several CSR's about rush orders and everyone was friendly and polite.  I ran to Walmart at lunch and picked up fiber fill for a sock monkey I'm making and found a few other things to go with it.

I had a marvelous evening ... a birthday dinner with Miniature Moose and Idiot's Anonymous, College One and her husband, and their mom.  We all laughed and had a delicious dinner.   They got to sit on the birthday saddles and everyone sang to them.  We really have to get together more often.

Heck, I even dropped off dinner for Stoney and the boys before meeting everyone at Texas Roadhouse ... so I go to see him for just a minute.  Seriously ... the difference between the way my day started versus the way it's ending?  It's a happy miracle ...

So I'm going to bed with a smile tonight ... because I'm happy.   Night all!

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do

Pharrell Williams - Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment