Monday, April 07, 2014

Hi Ho Hi Ho ...


I had a marvelous weekend ... capped off by a birthday party for the little girl of a friend of ours.  A birthday cake with a layer of chocolate mousse ... a houseful of babies toddling around ... lots of adorable moments and smiles and love.

Today it was back to the grind ... another long day at a job I really don't enjoy.   I need to stay until October so my cousin gets her referral bonus ... but I'm not sure if I'll be at this company for the long haul.  The people I work with are nice enough ... but it's just so much busy work.

Plus I have a fundamental problem with the work.  They've changed our review so that a fairly large percentage of our score is based on work we do for other teams.  They highly value cross-training ... and are constantly asking, "What have you done for other groups?"

Here's the problem with that ... all that accomplishes is a great shuffling of work.  This team needs help and so that team does some of their billing.  That team is now running behind so they ask another team to help them.   This trickles down and down ... until I'm stuck trying to clean our queue out because my team-member is helping someone else ... who wouldn't need our help if they were concentrating on their own projects.

It's maddening.  Every week we're asked to provide numbers ... how much and what kind of work we've done for other groups.  My problem is that I don't want to work in other groups ... I want to do my work.  If we're slow?  I'll ask!  I'll happily offer to help ... but this constant movement is unproductive.   Being cross-trained is supposed to add "value" to us as employees ... and I totally get that.  But when I'm busy doing my job?  Interrupting me to ask if I've done anything for other teams is frustrating ... and not the least bit helpful.

Maybe this is a private industry thing.  Maybe I have a government-employee's mindset and this is something that I need to change.  I have seven more months of indentured servitude ... I guess we'll find out.

I'm a fool to do your dirty work
Oh yeah
I don't want to do your dirty work
No more
I'm a fool to do your dirty work
Oh yeah

Steely Dan - Dirty Work

No comments:

Post a Comment