Saturday, May 17, 2014

Twelve Years and Three Months ...


I was sitting here watching When Harry Met Sally this morning ... and it hit me that this movie covers almost every emotion in a neat 120 minute package.    I've seen this movie dozens of times.  I used to own the soundtrack and I played it constantly.   Hearing Harry Connick, Jr. immediately makes me flash on an apartment I had on Glenwood.  

There are so many good memories involving that apartment.  K could still walk then ... she was always over.   I threw a co-ed wedding shower party for her at that apartment.  I remember one afternoon ... K and I sitting on huge bean bags in front of these big windows on a rainy afternoon and listening to a garage band across the street play Mr. Jones.  We hung out the windows and sang along.

Whoa ... that train jumped the track.  Where was I?

Oh yes ... When Harry Met Sally ...

The soundtrack makes me sentimental.  Jazzy piano numbers and standards I would never dream of listening to had I not seen the movie.  I bought the soundtrack on tape ... wore it out ... bought another one ... lost it ... and finally got a CD that I held onto for years.

I laugh watching them get to know each other and their uncomfortable cross-country trip.  I cringe at some of the outrageous things Harry says ... and at some of the ridiculous things Sally does.  I can't help smiling at their banter ... watching them get the Christmas tree ... talking in silly voices at the museum.   I can't help crying like a baby when Sally finds out Joe is getting married and asks, "Why didn't he want me?" ... and I tear up when she tells Harry, "I'm not your conciliation prize."

But what do I love most?  The last five minutes of the movie.  When Harry runs to find her on New Year's Eve and confronts her anger at him by saying ...
How about this way?  I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out.  I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich.  I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes.  And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night.  And it's not because I'm lonely.  And its not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
This movie isn't a romantic comedy.  This movie is the romantic comedy.  When Harry Met Sally taught an entire generation of lonely people ... like me ... that even though people aren't perfect ... that even though we are flawed and say stupid things and do stupid things ... that we can find someone who will love us not just despite those flaws ... but maybe even because of them.

If they asked me I could write a book
About the way you walk and whisper and look
I could write the preface on how we met
So the world would never forget
And the simple secret of the plot
Is just to tell them that I love you a lot
Then the world discovers as my book ends
How to make two lovers of friends

Harry Connick, Jr. - I Could Write a Book

No comments:

Post a Comment