Monday, August 11, 2014

RIP Robin Williams ...


I spent my teenage years in a small town ... with nothing for entertainment but three bars, two churches, and a video store.  K and I rented every movie in that store twice.  Good movies ... bad movies ... horror ... drama ... comedy.

Some of my best memories are of weekends when we stayed up all night watching early stand up videos of Robin Williams.   It was after Mork and Mindy ... before Dead Poet's Society.   He was manic ... obviously high ... and hilarious.

As I grew up, Robin Williams dried out ... and mellowed out.  I loved him in Birdcage.  To this day, I can't help stopping when I flip by that movie.  He and Nathan Lane were an amazing couple ... playing off each other perfectly.

So tonight when I stopped by Monty's to pick up a sandwich on the way home, I was shocked when Mom said, "Did you hear Robin Williams committed suicide?"  Of course I thought she was wrong.  It was another Internet rumor ... a sick Internet rumor ... it had to be.

But it wasn't.

I can't say it feels like a member of my family died ... because it doesn't.  And if I'm honest, there were quiet a few things on his resume that I didn't care for ... including his latest sitcom, The Crazy Ones.  But it still resonates with me.  It's so sad that someone who brought so much joy to so many people didn't feel that same joy.

It's just sad ...


Everyone can see we're together
As we walk on by
And we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
All of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose

Sister Sledge - We Are Family

No comments:

Post a Comment