Sunday, March 22, 2015

Hugs and Cookies and Soup ...


Well, I had hernia repair surgery on Wednesday.  Sometimes it feels like weeks ago ... sometimes it feels like hours.  Thursday and Friday were bad.  For three solid days, I couldn't stand up ... or roll over ... or walk to the bathroom.  Basically, I couldn't do anything without Stoney's help.   

For three days, Stoney made bowl after bowl of chicken noodle soup.  He brought me cold ginger ale and chocolate pudding and a beautiful bouquet of flowers.  Despite his ever-worsening head cold, Stoney didn't quit ... even getting up in the middle of the night several times to help me walk to the bathroom.  He was amazing and I'll never be able to thank him enough for everything he did.

So ... I woke up this morning and actually felt halfway normal.  I had energy.  I felt sore ... but good.  I could get out of bed myself ... I could stand up and sit down unassisted ... and I was able to go ten hours between pain pills.  I felt strong ... I felt invincible.

However, as I've been getting stronger, Stoney has been getting sicker.  The DayQuil and Mucinex  supplies in our house are sharply in decline.   And so this morning I thought, "I can make us breakfast!"  It wasn't just a randomly passing thought ... it was an imperative.  Stoney is sick ... he has done everything for me since Wednesday afternoon ... I am making Sunday breakfast for us!

So I shuffled into the kitchen.   I baked a few biscuits ... made a pan of maple bacon ... scrambled a few eggs ... and put them together to make breakfast sliders.  Were they good?  I don't know .. my taste buds are still completely out of whack and nothing tastes right.  My biscuit was warm ... it was edible.  That's about the most I can hope for at this point.

Stoney's fever is down ... so that's a good thing, although he's still coughing and snoggily.  My stomach muscles ache from making breakfast ... you'd think I was doing pushups instead of moving a pan of biscuits from one spot to another.

Time for another nap ... and hopefully it won't be so long between posts next time.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Good to see you back and at 'em. Spring is a good time to regroup. Best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete