Monday, February 06, 2017

Thoughts From The Big, Uncomfortable Chair ...

We all want to believe that we add value to the world. I think that's normal.  But things get complicated if you have a medical condition. For instance, let's take dialysis. It costs around $27,000 a month for dialysis treatments. 

I think any logical human being would look at that number and be soul-crushingly depressed.  How in the world can you justify that kind of cost? You wind up dreading to open the mailbox every day ... and looking at the insurance paperwork and thinking ... what have I done to earn this? 

What do *I* add to the world? 

It's a dark rabbit hole ... who adds $27,000 worth of value per month to the Earth?  Ghandi?   Okay, well he's dead … so that's not a good example. But Stephen Hawking? Steven Spielberg? 

Imagine a disaster movie kind of scenario.  Who would you save?  A doctor?  A scientist?  A writer?  I don't know ...  but I know it's not me.  

There are a thousand depressing thoughts that go through your head while you're sitting in this chair for 3 1/2 hours, 3 times a week. This just happens to be one… 


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:04 PM

    you are such a special person. you have been such a wonderful influence on so many people. The world would have been so much sadder without you in it. as your former mother in law, you have always been so kind and understanding to me Thank you for helping raise my granddaughters to have the values and understanding to be kind and thoughtful members of society. You also have been such a wonderful daughter to your parents. you are in my prayers every night

    ReplyDelete